Photo of an elderly man

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental assistance to low-income working families, the elderly and the disabled so that they may afford decent, safe and sanitary housing that meets their individual needs in the private rental market.

Participants pay approximately 30% - 40% of their gross monthly income for rent and utilities with the balance of the rent being paid by GJHA directly to the landlord.

The Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List is currently open

Eligibility for a Housing Choice Voucher is dependent upon the following factors:

  • The applicant must complete the application and all other necessary forms.
  • The applicant/family must meet eligibility income requirements (see below).
  • Proper submission of all required documents at time of eligibility: Photo IDs, Birth
  • Certificates/Social Security cards, and (if applicable) verification of court awarded custody for all applicants.
  • Verification of Eligible Immigration status – if the applicant(s) are not U.S. citizens, documentation of legal residency of the United States and/or verification of Eligible immigration status must be provided.
  • ALL applicants must pass a criminal background check – applicants must not have engaged in any felony violent or drug related criminal activity in the last five years, misdemeanor violent or drug related criminal activity in the last three years. For more information call 970-245-0388 ext. 0.
  • If an applicant, or a member of an applicant’s household, is subject to a Registrant requirement under a state sex offender registration program, they are NOT eligible for a Housing Choice Voucher.
  • All applicants must be over the age of 18.

In order to qualify for assistance, applicants cannot have a gross annual income exceeding the following income limits. The income guidelines can change without notice, however. To verify current income guidelines, please call GJHA at 970-245-0388.

Apply Online

Or download the paper application here.



Landlord Information

Landlord Information Packet

Carbon Monoxide Safety Act

Landlord Portal


Current Participants

Participant Information Packet

Waitlist Change Form

Catholic Outreach - Almost Home Guide

Possible Landlord List


Portability Information

“Portability” is defined as the ability for a Housing Choice Voucher holder to move from the jurisdiction of its current housing agency to the jurisdiction of another housing agency operating a Housing Choice Voucher program.

To be eligible to port to another jurisdiction you must:

  • Be a current Housing Choice Voucher program participant.
  • Live in this jurisdiction for one year with a voucher
  • Have not ported within the last 12 months
  • Complete your current lease. Certain accommodations apply for disabled families and families who fall under VAWA (Violence Against Woman Act).
  • Give your landlord a proper written notice and provide us with a copy.
  • Not be in violation of the family obligations. 

You will need to let us know what Housing Authority you want to port to. To identify the appropriate Housing Authority, contact your Housing Specialist or see the listing on 

The Housing Authority will not process portability requests for participants who owe money for a security deposit loan or a repayment agreement. After the debt is paid in full, you will have the option of moving to another jurisdiction.

Transfer your paperwork: Once your paperwork is complete your packet will be ready to send to your new Housing Authority.

NOTE: Housing Authorities often have different income limits, payment standards and subsidy standards (the number of bedrooms 
you qualify for).

Western Slope Housing Authorities

Delta County Housing Authority

Contact Person: Ruth ext. 5
Phone: (970) 874-7266
Fax: (970) 874-8612
501 14th Street
Delta, CO 81416

Garfield County Housing Authority

Contact Person: Carmen Mireles ext. 101
Phone: (970) 625-3589
Fax: (970) 625-0859
1430 Railroad Ave Unit F
Rifle, CO 81650

Montrose County Housing Authority

Contact Person: Carol Kemp ext. 1
Phone: (970) 323-5445
Fax: (970) 323-6179
222 HAP Ct.
Olathe, CO 81425

Montezuma County Housing Authority

Contact Person: Dawnie Saulters
Phone: (970) 565-3831
Fax: (970) 565-0860
37 N Madison St.
Cortez, CO 81321


Currently all phone lines at our main office location on Foresight and some of our property management offices (The Highlands & 2814) are down due to a local outage with our phone provider. We are currently working to get our main incoming phone lines forwarded to other locations. In the meantime if you need to contact us, our office is open 8am-4pm and you can also use the contact form and Maintenance Request forms on our website. We will update this as we have further information but currently the tentative repair time we have been given is Thursday at 7am.